Thursday, October 2, 2014

Sneak Peak: Sun Room [& a very dead succulent]

Hi there! I wanted to give you all a little sneak peak into the sun room today! This was definitely one of our favorite rooms while we were still engaged and the Mr. was living here. It was bright and warm and organized and pretty. Then I moved in more of my stuff, and we brought home our leftover wedding decorations and it became a dump-room. So we really haven't spent much time in it the last weeks. But the other day I decided to tackle it and make it once again a beautiful space to be! 


We got this Canadian-made rocking chair from Bri's sweet great aunt and uncle. We went over to their place for a visit and came back with all kinds of furniture and goods from Norway, Sweden, Canada, and the like!

I made the table in ceramics class my senior year of college. That things weighs a ton and I have considered tossing it every time I move but am so glad I haven't! I just love it in the sun room, which is honestly the first time I can say that about the thing. I spent many grueling hours trying to make clay into a table, and it's finally paid off!


I got this vintage tea tin from my nana. She knows I like old stuff and is often passing it on to me. (Thanks nana!)


The pen tins were a sweet snag from Ikea awhile back, and the framed print was a wonderful card from my roommate this past summer [rumor is there's bunches like this at Trader Joes. Who knew??]. Of course, I'm a sucker for anything lion, and that little plastic guy is from a trip to the zoo with the in-laws back in the dating days!

And now, what you've all been waiting for ...

Remember when I was super excited that I got a succulent? I had spent months, nay, years dreaming of owning, loving on, and being proud of my very own succulent. And then it was our one year anniversary of dating and so Loverboy made my wish come true. And then I posted about it and prayed that I wouldn't kill it and one kind commenter said that it was "IMPOSSIBLE" to kill succulents. Well call the miracle network, because I've done it folks! I've done the impossible! Feast your eyes on one very sad, very dead succulent.


Just to give you a little reminder of what it used to look like [look at how beautiful and thrive-y it was!]:


I'm sad to report that the flowering orange plant now has no flowers on it and the leaves are kind of shrively. I think I have a black thumb, people. But the good news is, I haven't killed the cactus! He sits very happily next to me at work. 

If anyone has any advice on how to revive this baby [or the absolute knowledge that it is done for and should be thrown in the trash] please comment and let me know! My fingers are crossed!


//photos courtesy of the lovely Kayla Duket—thanks for indulging my photo-taking wishes as I followed you around the house and indulged in nutella and pretzels. ;)

3 comments:

  1. I am so pleased to see the "tea tin" in your home!! As for the succlents..... they don't need much water ... maybe you killed it with "kindness". (too much water) I'm not good with house plants, so who am I to be giving advice!!!!! Love, Nana

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you ever get rid of that table, please send it my way...as is true with most of your other art you have created!

    Hobby Lobby sells nice silk plants. Pretty hard to kill...but I suppose one could find a way?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely sneak peek, Heather! I can't wait to see the full feature of your sun room. It seems like a room filled with life and color. I'm getting the vibe that you have gorgeous windows as well. Keep us posted! All the best to you! :)

    Fred Richardson @ SGK Home Solutions, Inc.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...