Monday, October 20, 2014

It's In The Little Things


Welcome to the random shelf in our bathroom. The one right above our toilet paper roll (left that out of the picture... you're welcome) and slightly above and to the right of our toilet (if you're sitting down that is).

I wasn't quite settled with how the bathroom was coming together, but now every time I go in there (which, let's be real, it's a bathroom—soooo multiple times a day) I get a little bit of happiness from this shelf.

Sure, if you went in my bathroom a few days in a row you would have thought I was a crazy person with the rotating decor on our little shelf (it took about 5 tries of different combinations of photo frames, books, candles, vases, and other tchotchkes to finally settle on this). But, I think the end result was totally worth it and it's these seemingly small victories in decorating that keep me going.

I knew I wanted to display a collection of these milk glass vases from our wedding somewhere in the apartment, but they just looked too plain by themselves, so that's when I started pulling apart one of my bridesmaids' bouquets... and about 10 minutes later, wallah! I am so pleased with this little space, and the only reason it came about is that I wasn't afraid to do a little experimenting.

Is there one little shelf or corner or end table in your house that you just aren't quite satisfied with yet? My advice? Do a little experimenting. Let things sit for a day or two to see if you like them... and if not, move on. Be willing to switch things out or "pull apart some bouquets" (whatever that looks like for you). I'm giving you permission to look like a crazy person for a bit. Because the end result will be worth it, and that little area of beauty you've created just might bring some happiness into your home. Because after all, it really is in the little things.

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...