Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Truth Tuesday: Fear



She does not fear bad news, nor live in dread of what may happen, for she is settled in her mind that Jehovah will take care of her.
[Psalm 112:7]

So here's the truth about fear: it's a lie. 

“And avoid fear, for fear is the consequence of every lie.” -Fyodor Dostoyevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

Fear is merely the consequence of a lie. Let me break it down for you.

If I'm afraid that I won't have a place to live, or won't raise all the money we need to raise, or won't find a car, then I am just believing the lie that those problems are bigger than my God, that He can't (or won't) handle them. If I'm afraid that I don't fit in with a certain group or might be rejected by someone, I am believing the lie that what others think about me is more important than what God thinks about me.

Usually it all boils down to believing the lie that God is not big enough, good enough, ________ enough to take care of the situation, to take care of me. 

Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
[Philippians 4:6-7]

I don't know about you, but often fear and anxiety look pretty much the same in my life. If something is consuming my thoughts, chances are I'm fearing. But God knows what is best for me. He is good. And He wants me to just be thankful, and then let Him know what's going on, asking Him for help. And then He gives His unfathomable peace that guards my heart and mind from all those lies that want to come in and make me fear.

So as you're going into the middle of the week, choose peace. Choose to be thankful, and to come before God with your fears and anxieties- your lies. Let Him take those lies and replace them with His Truth and His Peace.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...