Saturday, April 30, 2011

Will you ask Him?

Priscilla Ahn's song "Dream" is ethereal.


I especially love the middle verse:

Long walks in the dark through woods grown behind the park, I asked God who I'm supposed to be. 
The stars smiled down on me, God answered in silent reverie. I said a prayer and fell asleep. 

I asked God who I'm supposed to be. 

This is something I'm constantly doing. Something I'm constantly searching after. "God, who do you want me to be? Who do you say I am?" A quick google search of "who God says I am" reveals millions (literally) of results. Magazine blurbs, Wikipedia articles, blog posts, and Bible commentaries all point to who God says we are in the scriptures.

I am the temple of His Holy Spirit.

I am a co-heir with Christ.

I am a child of God.

I am a new creature in Christ.

I am chosen, holy, and blameless before God.

These are all a part of my identity in Christ. But they are also a part of yours. And every other believer on this planet that has come before us, that is here with us now, and that will come after us. These truths are precious, priceless, and essential for us to know. But there's also something else.

"...Fear not, for I have redeemed you; I have called you by name, you are mine...." Isaiah 43:1

He has called me by name. It's so much more personal than every person on earth who's ever trusted Christ as their savior being x, y and z. It's God, THE God, the God who created the universe and everything in it, has a specific name for each of his children. Something unique to them and only them. Now, I may be crazy, but it seems like there just wouldn't be enough words to go around. Think of all the people who would need names, then think of all the words there are. I'm pretty sure the people would outnumber the words (the good words anyway). :) So just imagine with me for a moment that God has His own special language that he uses to call each of us by name. Maybe in His language he has one word for each of us, a name, that encompasses all that He has made us to be. Maybe in His language, each word is so different they don't even seem to be from the same language. Because my God is the God of language. He is not limited by it, nor does He need to abide by its rules. So just imagine that your word looks like you. It feels like you. It has the same personality as you and the same quirks as you. Because God named you with that word and every part of you is represented in that word. And God wants you to know that word. No, not necessarily this make-believe language word, but He wants you to know what He thinks of YOU. How He created YOU to live. Who He says YOU are. Why He loves YOU. Not the person sitting next to you at church or the people in your Bible Study... YOU. So, will you ask Him?

2 comments:

  1. Wow...awesome. I haven't ever thought of it like this. Thanks for sprinkling seeds of thoughts in my head. Wondering what my name sounds like...and learning a little bit more every so often!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Pam's comment...WOW! 'Father, I am asking You now...what is MY name that You've created for me...make me to hear it, to know it, to receive it, to be consumed by it...no, by YOU because it is who You have called me, see me, desire for me, have planned for me to be.'
    Heather, thanks for prompting my heart to seek Him! Love you so much! dad

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...