Saturday, November 12, 2011

"You have a traitor, there"

"'You have a traitor there, Aslan,' said the Witch. Of course everyone present knew that she meant Edmund. But Edmund had got past thinking about himself after all he’d been through and after the talk he’d had that morning. He just went on looking at Aslan. It didn’t seem to matter what the Witch said."

-C.S. Lewis, The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe

I just finished this book... and out of the whole thing this is the part that stood out to me the most. It is right after Edmund is rescued from the White Witch and is back with Aslan and his siblings. The White Witch has requested an audience with Aslan to remind him of the Deep Magic, in which every traitor belongs to her and is her prey to kill.

Her words- "You have a traitor there, Aslan" are meant to cut, meant to shame. They are meant to make Edmund squirm and for Aslan and the rest of the good creatures to scorn Edmund. But that doesn't happen. Instead, Edmund just keeps his eyes focused on Aslan, so overtaken by the rescue and his conversation with Aslan afterwards. The Witch tried to shame him, tried to feed him lies about who he was, tried to bring up his past, but it didn't seem to matter. All that mattered to Edmund now was Aslan.

Sound like a familiar scenario? It does to me. I am Edmund! I am that traitor. For all the times that I have seen the movie or heard the story, I have always been the one to scorn Edmund, to shame him. How I hated him! How could he possibly betray Aslan, his siblings, and all things good all for a tin of Turkish Delight and empty promises of power? But I think the reason I hated him so was because I saw some of my own self in him. I saw that I am just as prone to betray, to turn my back on the wonderfulness that is Jesus and all that he has to offer, all for a cheap imitation, a pile of rubbish in comparison. But like Aslan, Jesus gave his life for me so that I could live, so that I could change, and so that I could become a true daughter of the king. And when I see that, it doesn't seem to matter what the Devil says.

4 comments:

  1. Yes, I too am that traitor...that one who has listened to lies and followed paths of self...only to be enslaved. YET Jesus through the will of Father has died to free me...to make me His and now lives in me forevermore. Glory to Jesus! More of YOU Jesus on all of me.
    Love you Fred! Two traitors, redeemed, and gazing into His deep, empathetic and gracious EYES!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ahhh heather this is GREAT! I love it and it's really encouraging, the way that you interpreted that is brilliant - must be the Holy Spirit :-). Can we get together over break? like many times if possible? miss you!
    -jamie

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks! i miss youuu! and YES we should definitely get together over break!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...