Monday, May 2, 2011

Shame on You

Shame messages are lies that you feed yourself about who you are or who you are not.

Shame messages can look like this:

  • I am too big a mess to deal with

  • I am powerless to change

  • I don't belong

  • I am dirty, worthless, dumb

  • I am not worthy of love, grace, gifts of kindness

  • There is something the matter with me


Can you relate to any of those? Shame can lead to idolatry when we form images of ourselves and let that tell us how to live, rather than let God tell us how to live. Shame can lead to hiding who we are or contempt for who we are. Shame can lead to performance- based acceptance where we feel we must earn others' and God's love. Shame can lead to addictions and isolation. Shame can rule us. BUT, this isn't how it has to be. This isn't how it's SUPPOSED to be!

Fear not, for you will not be ashamed; be not confounded, for you will not be disgraced; for you will forget the shame of your youth, and the reproach of your widowhood you will remember no more. - Isaiah 54:4

Shame is something I have had in my life.
Shame is not something I want in my life.

I am going to allow God to define me. I am going to stop believing the lies that Satan feeds me. I am going to allow God's purpose to become my purpose. I am going to impact this world. I am going to allow God and others to pursue me in my shame. I am going to let love in. I am going to believe God when he says that I will forget the shame of my youth, and look to my future.

*Ideas adapted from The Journey Guide by Open Hearts Ministry.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...