Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Discipline or Regret... or Not?

Do you ever have days where you just feel like you were so undisciplined, or lazy, or didn't get done what you wanted to? I do. And I had one recently. And it led to a whole lot of regret. It led to anxiety. It led to beating myself up and feeling like I had made all the wrong choices. It made me long for time travel (come on smart, science-y husband!). But seriously, I had a pit in my stomach, wishing that I could go back and start the day over. I was filled with regret.

//via

I've heard it said that everyone must choose one of two pains: the pain of discipline or the pain of regret. That really resonates with me. I get it. But I also think there's a third choice: Mercy. Grace. Forgiveness. When we don't choose discipline and start to feel regret, God offers us new mercies. Every single morning.

//via

He offers us hope and love and mercy every single day, so that we don't have to wallow in the past, whether it is looming with darkness and hurts and sins or simply unfinished to-do lists and minor disappointments. 

Praise God that I don't have to live in regret, even when in the worldly sense that's where I should be. Praise Him that He makes every day new and gives me second and third and 562 and one million chances. Praise Him that although discipline is the better choice, and regret is real, He still invites me to live in the here and now and to dwell on what He is doing and has done, not what I have failed to do. His mercies are new every morning!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...