Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Giving "Responsibly"

Loverboy and I have been talking a lot lately about the tension between extravagant generosity and wisely planning for our future. I feel like there shouldn't be a tension, like we can totally do both. We just haven't quite figured it out yet.

We really want to obey God in this area of our lives (along with all others) and just aren't sure what it looks like in real life. We know that giving generously and cheerfully is a good thing and will only be met with God's delight, but we also have a strong desire to be "financially responsible" and save for the future. But what is financial responsibility? Especially in the Kingdom of God? So many questions! So, tension.

//via

But then I read quotes like this and think, "Yeah! That's what it's all about! Let's give, baby, let's give!"
No one has ever become poor by giving. —Anne Frank 
But then I realize there is never going to be a day when I stand before God and He looks at me and says, 'I wish you would have kept more for yourself.' I'm confident that God will take care of me. —David Platt, Radical 
Generosity is what keeps the things we own from owning us. —Eugene Cho, Overrated
But then I think about being financially responsible again, and Dave Ramsey, and being able to provide for our family, and I'm all like "ok, yes, let's give, but let's do so responsibly." Which then leads me right back to the question of what does giving "responsibly" look like?

So all that to say, we still haven't come to any great solutions or had any big epiphanies... we're still just trying to figure this out. Honesty at it's finest. Thanks for letting me process!

Does anyone else struggle with this tension? How have you gone about reconciling these two ideas in your own life? Any good verses for us?

6 comments:

  1. Hey Heather! I've been thinking about this topic a lot lately too! If you've got an hour or so, I highly recommend this message ("Moving Day") that Louie Giglio gave a couple months ago.

    https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/passion-city-church-podcast/id400379025?mt=2

    It should be #16 on the list of podcasts right now. I thought it was really awesome and it gave me a much different perspective on my possessions and my giving. I hope it does the same for you guys!

    Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tim! We will definitely take a listen when we get a chance! Miss you broski!

      Delete
  2. This is great! I've lived in this tension a lot over the past few years, and I've found one simple thing to be true: If I'm living in step with Holy Spirit, I know just what to do and when to do it. Sometimes it means saving more than usual, sometimes it means giving more than usual. It always means budgeting so I can flex to follow His lead. He's proven, time and time again, that He knows my needs (and other people's needs to be met through me) before I'm even aware of them. So basically, no rules, just relationship. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good thoughts, Jennyfriend! Relationship > Rules. Always a good way to live. :)

      Delete
  3. Psalm 37:25-26 is a verse Noah and I talk about and think about often. "I was young and now I am old, yet i have never seen the righteous forsaken or their children begging bread. They are always generous and lend freely; their children will be blessed" I have never done Dave Ramsey but we have used the envelope system for nearly 8 years. We wish we could save more, but have found God always providing- kids, house, move, super expensive health concerns and meds, A good question to wrestle through... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really like those verses, Katie! Good reminder that God will provide. We're not super hard-core on Dave Ramsey, but a lot of the principles that he sets forward can sometimes conflict with giving extravagantly. He obviously includes giving in his strategies, but it's been interesting figuring out where we want to land on things. Maybe more asking God where HE wants us to land on things. :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...