Thursday, March 28, 2013

Brokenness Pt. 1: Facing Our Brokenness

I have a couple questions for you.
What do you do with your brokenness?
Where do you go with your brokenness?

Everyone is broken. Everyone has unmet longings, unfulfilled desires. Everyone has deep disappointment and unanswered confusion. Everyone is broken. But not everyone realizes it. Or owns up to it. Or sits still long enough to really allow themselves to think about it (this girl right here).

So. What do you do with your brokenness? Where do you go with your brokenness? Do you deny it? Do you despair and wallow in it? Do you compare it to others'?

Brokenness can usher us into God's presence, if we let it. There is a well-worn path in our brains that leads to destruction and lies. It is a path that we often follow when we actually do acknowledge our brokenness. It's a path that tells us we aren't good enough, there must be something wrong with us. It is a path that leads to shame, condemnation, depression, anxiety, and death.

We have to ask God to help us make a well-worn path that leads to Him. A new path- a path that brings hope, illuminates truth, and strengthens our faith. A path that leads to life.

Jesus can handle the depth of my mess. In fact, He turns my mess into a message. I can say this with joy and confidence, because I have seen it a million times in my own life. I have seen Jesus take the things I hate the most- the deepest sin, the hardest circumstances, the most shameful choices- and turn them into stories of hope, redemption, and ultimately His love for me.

In facing my brokenness, I acknowledge that I am weak, but God is strong. I acknowledge that I am a sinner in need of a Savior, one who died and rose again, conquering death for me. I acknowledge that I cannot do this life on my own, that I am utterly dependent on the power of the Holy Spirit in me.

And in the midst of all of this, I am becoming someone new. There is new life springing up from the ground (Isaiah 43:19). Yes, in this life there is still pain. There are still tears and disappointment, confusion, and unanswered questions. BUT, I know that my God is greater and that it is all for His glory and my good. There is trust for today and hope for the future.

He will wipe away every tear from their eyes, and death shall be no more, neither shall there be mourning, nor crying, nor pain anymore, for the former things have passed away. And he who was seated on the throne said, “Behold, I am making all things new.” -- Revelation 21:4-5


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...