Wednesday, February 29, 2012

DIY: Scripture Memorization

I have recently been motivated to memorize scripture. I've found that it's not actually as hard as I've always made it out to be. :) In fact, it's really quite fun and has been super helpful in my daily walk.

Here's the benefits I have found in memorizing scripture:


  1. When I'm talking with people and a verse comes to mind I actually know where to find it and can give more than just a vague description of it if I happen to not have my Bible.


  2. When I'm anxious, fearful, tempted, etc. I can call these verses to mind to combat the enemy.


  3. It gives me something to do during those awkward down-times of 3-15 minutes.


  4. It has given me a greater thirst for the Word and has motivated me to dig into it more.


  5. I got to do a craft! Who doesn't love crafts??? :)


So, I thought I'd show you how I have chosen to memorize scripture... and the craft that went along with it!


You will need:





  • Spiral-bound index card book (I chose this so all my cards will stay together and I can just throw the book in my backpack)


  • Storage Box (Any index-card sized box would work. I used an old gift box that just happened to be the perfect size!)


  • Mod podge or other glue


  • Scrapbook paper


  • Misc. Craft supplies



Get creative!


Decorate the cover of the book and the box by mod podging paper on, adding scripture or quotes, or even try adding some 3-D elements!


 



All done! You now have a box that will be able to hold multiple little scripture books... now get memorizing! :) 


 I have stored up your word in my heart, that I might not sin against you.


Psalm 119:11


The unfolding of your words gives light; it imparts understanding to the simple.


Psalm 119:130


His delight is in the law of the Lord, and on his law he meditates day and night.


Psalm 1:2


I  delight to do your will, O my God; your law is within my heart.


Psalm 40:8 

2 comments:

  1. Much cuter than my little silver speckled notebook someone gave me for Christmas two years ago which is small enough to fit in my palm, and I write a verse per page. I love your box and notebook which match. These would make great birthday gifts for friends who want to memorize!

    I'm memorizing Psalm 16:11 right now: You will make known to me the path of life, in Your presence is fullness of joy, in Your right hand there are pleasures forever!"

    Thanks for sharing some GREAT verses!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cute craft, and some awesome benefits!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...