Monday, September 14, 2015

One Year Staycation

Yesterday marked one year of being married to Loverboy. 365 days, 52 weeks, 12 months, one year. And it feels like just yesterday that we were standing at the altar, shivering as we read each other our vows on that chilly but beautifully bright day.

We had gone back and forth on how we wanted to spend our first anniversary, with thoughts of a nearby Bed & Breakfast or AirBnB. We even tossed around the idea of going to NYC or Washington D.C. for the weekend when Frontier flights were so cheap. But we eventually landed on staying home and enjoying a relaxing staycation. And I am SO glad that we did! We had just come off a series of busy out-of-town weekends, and staying home was just what we needed! So here's a glimpse at what we did, along with our recommendations for your very own staycation!



Friday night we enjoyed sushi happy hour at Wakame Sushi & Asian Bistro. This is the best sushi happy hour in the Cities, in my humble opinion. The selection is amazing, the atmosphere warm, and the prices affordable. We especially loved the Tootsie Roll (the middle crispy-looking roll in the middle of the plate).
After happy hour we headed to the Minneapolis Institute of Art (MIA). We enjoyed perusing through the maze of paintings, sculptures, artifacts, and other pieces of art. Since it was a Friday night, there were only a few other people there, so it felt like we had the place to ourselves! Saturday morning we slept in and then headed to Colossal Cafe in St. Paul for a crazy-filling brunch. We shared the Spinach Artichoke Feta Frittata and the Apple Walnut Brie Flappers. Both dishes were amazing and we got out of there in under $20! Score!
After brunch we headed to the Science Museum. It was a blast watching Brian get into all the experiments and explain the science behind each one to me. The museum is currently switching their special exhibits and the omnitheatre was also closed, so we had yet another place mostly to ourselves. It was nice to enjoy the museum without the crowds. 
Sunday we went to Fogo de Chao for lunch, which was something that Brian was really looking forward to. Seeing as I'm not the biggest fan of meat, a Brazilian steakhouse wasn't quite as exciting to me, but the sides and salad bar were amazing! We did some shopping around Downtown and Uptown, then headed to a park to toss around some styrofoam airplanes I got at the Dollar Tree. We spent the rest of Sunday relaxing and going in and out of food comas. :) The weekend was the perfect mix of delicious food, relaxation, and exploration. We both got to experience new things and still enjoy our tried and true favorites. So there you have it! Some amazing restaurants to try out, as well as a couple museums that are fun to peruse through.Happy one year, babe. It's been an awesome adventure, and I'm excited to see what year two brings!

3 comments:

  1. What a super fun weekend! I'm glad you shared it in pictures and words! Are you still on staycation or back to work? I can't remember the plan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Feeling very thankful that you and Brian have had such an amazing year together; and doubly thankful that you were able to cap the year off with some wonderful activities and special meals. As a Nana, my joy is tripled when my grandchildren have joy..... First I am happy for you, next I am happy for your mom and dad because I know parents receive joy through their children, and finally I am happy for me when I see so much shared joy!
    Psalm 16:9 Therefore my heart is glad, and my whole being rejoices.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...