Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Guest Post: If God is Love, I think Jesus is Justice




Editor's Note: I'm so excited to introduce our very first guest post! Let's begin the journey to see what makes people tick! Today's post is by Laura Turner. She will be graduating from UWEC this summer with an Organizational Communication degree and a self-made minor in Community Development. Laura's main passions are discipleship/Bible teaching and social justice. Before she came to college she went to a one year Bible school program through Torchbearers in Germany and will be returning for two years come fall to be the female RA to encourage the students and build Godly community. She's a dreamer and sharing about those dreams is her favorite hobby. - HB




If God is Love, I think Jesus is Justice

Why we cannot re-define Justice to our own understanding (and must be aware of falling prey to our relativity-obsessed society) and the crucial significance of our knowledge of Christ shaping what we do, never the other way around.

 

“An Idol is whatever you look at and say, in your heart of hearts, – ‘ If I have that, then I’ll feel my life has meaning, then I’ll know I have value, then I’ll feel significant and secure.” Tim Keller

I wonder if soon I am headed to a point where I would ditch Jesus for “justice”. “Justice” in quotes because, really what is justice without Jesus? I am so angered by the sex industry: Apathy of the church in taking a stand and the fact that there are millions of girls around the world that are servicing (the nice way to put it) 20 men a night. Every night. They have no love, no home and seemingly no hope. What do I do as I feel this pain so deeply? It makes the most sense to just go out and end it at any cost! I’m tempted to ignore prayer and searching the scriptures because of my urgency to end the problem! At any cost. But I praise You that I’m so intertwined, Your love is so written on my heart that truly, somehow I know there is no justice without Jesus. Justice. True justice. It’s what only God can bring. It is justice that causes freedom for all involved, not just the ones I deem to be oppressed.

Oh how He loves us. That “WHILE WE WERE YET SINNERS (hostile, evil, haters of God, haters of good, desirous of death) CHRIST DIED FOR US.” Romans 5:8. The Lord in His divine love that is solely of Him, saves the trafficker and the trafficked in the exact same way. He saves them from the oppression of sin and death. What death to the soul, spirit, mind, heart and body have the traffickers experienced? They have not lived. They have not experienced God or at least they have not let themselves experience hope of His love. But, Oh How He loves us. Seeing the plight of each man without comparing one to another, without counting his own sin that he did to others and to God against him, but saves him, cradles him, rescues him, redeems him, changes him, washes him clean and carries him home all the same. What weeping in joy and praise there will be from the trafficker who comes to know love that covers all- “Amazing grace how sweet the sound that saved a wretch like me. I once was lost, but now am found, was blind, but now I see.”*

Praise Our Great God. I still pray that He saves the girls tortured and living in death in sex slavery, and most of me wishes evil upon the oppressors. But by Christ He has opened my eyes so I can see my sin in His light.

Lord, forgive me. Heal my heart. May I never choose “justice” over you, because I don’t believe your goodness, your power, your proactivity in redeeming the world. For you are much more active than me, You are the only one who can stop evil and redeem what was broken and dead. You go farther than me in redeeming the oppressor as well as the oppressed. My heart is so much smaller than yours. “For your thoughts are not my thoughts, neither are My ways you ways,” declares the LORD, “For as high as the heavens are above the earth, so are My ways above your ways, and My thoughts above your thoughts.” Isaiah 55:8-9

This is one tiny fraction of what the LORD is doing in this world to further His kingdom and His love. He is gracious to deal with each of us as we need. There is much more to the story God is writing on my heart as well. Thanks for reading.

For more information on sex trafficking, visit exoduscry.com

* (John Newton wrote these words to Amazing Grace-after he gave his life to Christ and left his job as a slave-ship captain)

1 comment:

  1. Thank you, Laura, for opening our eyes to God's image reflection in your precious heart.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...